Sunday, July 8, 2012

Peritoneal Cancer Journey Phase XVII


It is May 30th my next Doctor’s appointment is here and I have to admit I am a bit nervous.  Not to sure where we are going from here.  I am putting out there that my CA dropped significantly…  and guess what, my CA-125 did dropped!  Yippeee!!!  By over 400 points to 3,034, phew, big sigh of relief…  Of course I was hoping to drop by 1/2 …  I am very happy with over 400, definitely in the right direction.  Great Birthday gift for me…  My birthday is May 31st  my steroid high day…  We are going to stay with the same treatment this go around.  I will have the Neulasta® shot on Thursday.  My white cells are doing good and my platelets really jumped up to over 241,000 in like 10 days, my happy pump out the blood dance worked <smile>…  My hemoglobin is good too so everything is a go...  My exam was really positive…  So off we go to the infusion lab… 
My Chemotherapy infusion goes uneventful which I am always very happy with.  We started with the prep drugs (the benedryl, steroids, and I take my E-mend) to prevent reaction and minimize nausea.  Then we proceed to Avanstin, then to Doxel (looks like red coolaide, which is what I call it…), then to Carboplatin.  During this I read a book for a bit, napped a bit and listened to my momma jams play list.  It was over with pretty quickly or at least it felt like it didn’t take to long.  When we got home I had lunch then napped the rest of the afternoon away.  That is a good thing.  I find it interesting or maybe funny how tired you get when you have a treatment, just sitting around.  So the boy cats and me nap the afternoon away…  Not a bad thing.
Because my red cells took a big hit the last go around, I have an extra blood draw that we didn’t plan for on June 11.  We planned on going to Detroit, MI for UNITY Peoples Conference that week.  We had to find a Quest Lab there so I can get my blood draw done on Monday.  Lynn has a cousin who lives just outside of Detroit so that worked perfect.  So she helped us find one and I scheduled an appointment.  We met up with cousin Deb and her husband for lunch on Sunday and caught up, which was so much fun…  On Monday I had an appointment with Quest.  The tech I met, Desiree was wonderful.  The coding is different there then it is here in the WNY area.  So she had to spend 45 minutes with me to clarify what tests my doctor was requesting.  We talked about why I was in Detroit and parted with a hug.  It was some how very comforting to me feeling that I am good hands.  During the conference I received a call from my chemotherapy nurse Laurie.  When I answered my cell phone I must have said “uh oh” out loud… laughing…  She heard me and said did you just say uh oh…?  I said yes I did, when you call that means one thing, my numbers are low…  She said, yes and the Doctor wants to you to have more lab work tomorrow.  She said we know you are out of town and we tried to get him to wait on the blood work, but alas his comment was “there is a lab there she can go to”…  laughing…  Anyway my hemoglobin is down to 7.4, which it has been before and my platelets are down to 26,000, a bit lower than last time.  My white cells are doing great.  So that is great news to me, I am not susceptible to infections, just bruising and bleeding…  She asked if had the contact information for the lab I went to, since we know you are out of town.  Yes, I went out of town without telling them…  That normally is a non-appointment week so it didn’t occur to me to say anything...  We drove to Detroit as it only takes about 5 hours and the conference sounded fun with speakers that I really was interested in hearing.  I did have the phone number and address with me for lab we went to.  So I gave it to Laurie, she said their faxed number would be on the voice mail.  So she faxed my new order to the lab.  So Lynn and I ventured back out to the Quest in Center Line, MI and the Tech Desiree was there, I smiled and said I am back…  Smiling.  She said I see that and I did receive your doctor order and am all ready for you.  That visit took like 2 minutes…  I did have to have blood work again before we left Detroit; I had to go on Thursday…  My platelets were down to 24,000 and my hemoglobin was down to 7.4…  Okay that is really low.  Lynn is now worried that I would have to be in Detroit longer to get a transfusion and that wouldn’t work well as Megs 21st Birthday celebration dinner was planned for Friday evening 6/15… Can’t miss that, that would be awful…  So Thursday Bright and early we were at Quest for another blood draw.  I am a frequent flier too now in Center Line, MI.  Desiree was wonderful, very re-assuring and calming.  She is the only Tech in that office and it runs without a hitch.  She is very conscientious, efficient and caring.  Driving home on Friday morning I received another call my platelets are down to again now to 21,000 and hemoglobin is down to 7.2…  Okay I will be going for a transfusion next week because my hemoglobin is not going to rebound as fast as my platelets will.  They already faxed an order to the lab I go to on Saturday morning.  I was able to get a 10:15ish am appointment. Perfect timing… 
We had Megs 21st Birthday celebration at one of our favorite restaurants’ the Martini Bar on Elmwood Avenue.  There were 9 of us… My mom, me, Lynn, my 2 sisters,  Gail’s husband and close family friend Molly.  The restaurant knew it was Megs 21st Birthday celebration so they asked her what she wanted to drink and promptly asked for her ID… She was VERY Happy to oblige…  <laughing>.  She tried 2 different Martini’s before she found one that tasted good…  Dinner was so much fun, lots of talking, laughing, and reminiscing…  After dinner Gail, Molly and Clark took Megs out partying…   Megs did really well, not to hung over the next day…  It was a perfect ending to a great week of vacation, minus the frequent visits to the lab…  Over all a Great Week…  Love those days, weeks… 

No comments: