Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Perionenal Cancer diagnosis journey.

Phase I
The definition for Peritoneal cancer is a rare cancer that develops in the peritoneum, a thin, delicate sheet that lines the inside wall of the abdomen and covers the uterus and extends over the bladder and rectum. The peritoneum is made of epithelial cells. By producing a lubricating fluid, the peritoneum helps the organs to move smoothly inside the abdomen.
Peritoneal cancer looks and behaves like ovarian cancer, but the ovaries are minimally involved. Women who develop ovarian cancer after having had their ovaries previously removed likely have peritoneal cancer.

On February 19, 2010 my Gynecologist diagnosed me with peritoneal cancer at age 51, I still had my ovaries, this diagnosis after weeks of going to see my primary physician and GI doctor for what was thought to be IBS.  They had to immediately do an abdomen tap, which drained 7 liters of fluid, which allowed me to begin eating meals again, though my stomach had definitely gotten smaller.  I had never heard of peritoneal cancer and have found many in the health care profession have not, even in anatomy and physiology college professor have said it does not exist until challenged by a student who’s mother was diagnosed.  She told the professor well my mom was diagnosed with it and she will be relieved that it does not exist (jokingly).  As credit to that professor he did research and by the next class stated to the class that Peritoneal cancer does exist and devoted time to it explaining to the class.

On February 24, 2010 I had my de-bulking surgery and complete hysterectomy that lasted 4 ½ hours, there were complications, which the doctors were able to take care of, and complications during recovery that just delayed my homecoming.  What was unusual at the time was this cancer was not found in my female organs.  Bonus for me I’m thinking…  On March 15th I was released from the hospital and had lost 39 lbs, my protein levels where horrible from not being able to eat nothing but yogurt for weeks.  I had -0- energy.  My and my family’s focus now was healing so I could be ready for my chemotherapy that needed to begin immediately to avoid any bloating to recur in my abdomen.  My CA-125 numbers when diagnosed were at 10,000 which is unheard of I am told.  They dropped to 5000 after surgery.  My life partner and I decided not to Google this type of cancer (as recommended by my GYN) and focus on healing and getting better…  He recommended the best cancer surgeon and Oncologist for my cancer and they performed the surgery.  My Gyn doctor said it was amazing to watch him work in the OR.  I have been fortunate with the Doctors and the nurses and staff that take care of me each adventure I have…  
We had decided not to research this cancer and focus what needs to be done today to get me ready.  I am not a statistic so I will not read then...  My mom is a 5 time cancer survivor (colon, breast, skin, lung twice), my younger sister is a 1 time cancer survivor (breast) and we had used this approach successfully, focusing on each positive that was achieved in various treatments.  Both are doing very well and supporting me through this.

In March 2010 I met with my Gyn Oncologist that did the surgery to review my chemo regimen.  I began IV Chemotherapy of carboplatin and taxol.  I found I am allergic to taxol, which my Gyn Oncologist had to switch to taxotere and carboplatin.  My Peritoneal Chemotherapy was cisplatin and taxotere.   I had two mediports inserted for the peritoneal chemotherapy.  I highly recommend anyone having IV chemotherapy seriously consider having a mediport insert…  It is done as an outpatient surgery procedure you are awake for.  It is much easier on your veins and you don’t have to have an IV started each treatment and keep your arm in a straight position to not impede the infusion.  The infusion nurse accesses your meditport each time and treatment begins.  I received 5 peritoneal chemotherapy infusions and 3 IV chemotherapy infusions.
During my infusions there were side effects that Lynn and I mastered managing them.  During the peritoneal infusions I really was down 4 days (coincided with home IV’s for 4 days), the 5th day I began my up swing.  I received a treatment every 3 weeks and did not lose weight during this time period.  After healing from surgery, I was able to go back to work which I found to be life savor, Lynn and my daughter will attest to that...  Guess I was difficult to live with when I was home every day... 

During this time period I experienced my first drug shortage - Cisplatin.  Cistplatin was recalled nationally due to contaminated materials.  My doctor switched my peritoneal treatment to IV which is carboplatin and taxotere.  Fortunately the manufactures were able restore the drug and the shortage was short lived.  There is also more than 1 plant that makes Cisplatin…

In August 2010 my CA-125 number reached 170 (down from 10,000)  which again these numbers are unusually high... I have been unusual my whole life...  My doctor did a second look surgery via laparoscopic surgery of the abdomen.  The pathology came back negative for cancer.  My doctor, me and my family where thrilled...  I was feeling good and looking to have hair again.  I was to do monthly follow up with him monitoring my numbers, blood counts, and over health.  I can do that...

No comments: